Monday, December 26, 2011

Shards of glass.

I starred out of the rusty, dirty, old window, wishing I could be on the other side of it. The luscious, green, forest looked way more comforting and inviting than the dusty, black, lifeless room that I was sitting in now. I sighed, wanting to experience what it was like to be outside. I had never left this house, they had made it forbidden, and I longed go outside for once and breath fresh air. I was contemplating what to do, stay or leave? I kept my place by the window and fixed my eyes on the outside world.

I made my decision just as the sun started to set and the day came towards dusk. They wouldn't like it, and they would come after me, but I couldn't make myself stay in this house forever. I had to be free, and by doing this I would be. I slowly rose to my feet, I was weak, for I was well underfed, but I managed to summon all my energy and stand without collapsing. I stared out the window again, it was taller than me, which was convenient since I didn't really want to crawl through a small window. I took one step so that I would be standing directly in front of the window. I had to do this. The sky was now completely black and the stars were starting to sparkle in the night-like blackness. I drew in a deep breath, summoning all my courage. I finally chased away my fears and lifted my clenched fist towards the glass. 

My fist came towards the glass with incredible speed and force and I felt my hand press against the glass a split second before it all shattered beneath the pressure of my clenched fist. Shards of glass flew all around the room like a swam of wasps. I felt the excruciating pain and I caught a glimpse of my crimson blood that was oozing out of the wound on my hand. I didn't hesitate, I instantly jumped out of the dirty, old house and into the wide, wonderful world. I heard them coming after me. Waving their torches through the night and shouting in a language that I couldn't understand. I ran as fast as I could and didn't look back, I just kept running through the thick, tall grass and hoped that they were nowhere near me. I kept running until I finally reached the end of the forest and I was suddenly running through a long, wide, endless field. I didn't stop running, even though I couldn't hear their voices anymore. I couldn't risk being captured and...possibly killed. I kept running without any sense of direction, I kept running with a happy feeling in my heart.

They saw me running through the field, but they didn't come after me. They just stood there and watched as I ran into the distant night towards my freedom.


No comments:

Post a Comment